We should all be aware of the fact that faulty posture is one of the many causes of low back pain. Therefore, apart from using a back stretching device such as portable back stretcher to strengthen your back muscles and increase flexibility of the lower back, you can also lessen episodes of low back pain by consistently maintaining proper balance and alignment of your spine, when sitting, standing or lying. Below are several simple tips that you can follow to achieve this.
1. For proper balance and alignment you should always try to maintain the normal anterior/forward and posterior/backward cures of the spine.
2. Avoid slouching or “round shoulders” positions when sitting or standing. Always try to stand with your body erect so that your shoulders and pelvis (hips) are level.
3. Whenever you are standing make sure your body weight is evenly placed on each leg. Keep your knees slightly flexed or bent, and allow your pelvis to roll forward to maintain a lordosis stance(the natural curve of lower back).
4. Your head should be kept over your body when standing and not in front of the shoulders. Your ankles, knees, and shoulders should be aligned.
5. If you have to sit in one position for a long time, occasionally shift your position — moving your head, neck, shoulders, back, hips, knees and ankles periodically.
6. Keep your knees, and hips flexed at 90 degrees with your feet flat on the floor or a stool. Try to keep your knees at the same level as your hips with pelvis rolled forward. Again, try to avoid slouching or ” round shoulders/back” posture, in particularly during prolonged sitting.
7.Whenever you are lying, it’s best to lie on your back or side with your hips and knees slightly flexed or bent. Place a pillow between or under the knees for support, and avoid lying on your stomach. Use a small or medium-size pillow to support your head, but do not place it under the shoulders. Use a firm mattress that provides enough support to the natural curves of the spine.
Picture will get larger for better viewing when you click on it